Shopify authentication pin is a wonderful tool for Shopify’s phone support. It enables two-step authentication for the account. The two-factor authentication is a safe and secure method to log into your account. It confirms your identity as a store owner. Before we get to know how Shopify assures it, let’s analyze why it’s essential.
First off, one-step authentication has become unreliable in recent times. Because of the increasing use of internet, our data is not safe and always at risk. Hackers are becoming powerful enough to break the simple security. The PIN authentication for Shopify increases security by requiring extra information:
- The password for your Shopify account
- The code generated by a mobile app or an SMS
And yes, this is why we call it a two-way verification method to confirm your identity. It’s like an ATM at the bank, which asks for a PIN and the debit card as well. The password is the same, but the authentication code is for one-time use only. The next time when you log in to your account, it will ask for the new code verification. The very nature of the code’s expiry makes the login more secure and safe.
You can set up the two-step verification for all the accounts. But as an account owner, you cannot set it up for your staff. The staff members need to enable it individually.
How to Get Shopify Authentication PIN
To get Shopify authentication PIN, we need to enable two-step authentication. And to do so, we have got three ways:
- Shopify Authentication PIN for SMS
- Two-Step Authentication for Authenticator App
- Two-Way Authentication with a Security Key
Let’s discuss them one-by-one now.
1. Shopify Authentication PIN for SMS
Log into your Shopify account and go to the admin panel. Click on your username and account picture. Just do the following steps:
- Go to ‘Your Account’ and click on ‘Security.’
- Choose ‘Your profile.’
- Go to the ‘Two-step authentication’ section and select ‘Enable SMS Authentication.’
- Select your country code and give your phone number
- Click on ‘Send authentication code.’
- By now, you must have received the SMS text message on your phone. Get the 6-digit code from your phone.
- Enter the code under the ‘Authentication code.’
- Confirm your password and click ‘Enable.’
- Shopify will provide you with ten recovery codes.
- Save those codes in a very safe place.
In case you don’t have a mobile phone with you, use the recovery code to log into your account. You can do it only if you have two-step authentication enabled. Let’s again tell you that you can use one code for one time only. Log out of your Shopify account to confirm if everything went great. Log in to your account, and Shopify will need two-step authentication. Now is the time to head to the two-step authentication with an authenticator app.
2. Two-Step Authentication for Authenticator App
In this method, you need to download an authenticator app from your mobile phone. The mobile phone must be a smartphone or any other device working on iOS, Android, or Windows. The authenticator app scans the QR codes to retrieve the data for you. We recommend the following authenticator apps to enable your two-step authentication:
These are the third-party apps, and Shopify does not provide you support for that. So, you need to follow the instructions carefully. You can start getting benefits from these apps on Shopify once you download them. But, you need to activate them first.
Follow these simple steps to do so.
- Go to the Shopify admin panel and click on your username and account picture.
- Go to your profile or ‘Security’ in your account.
- Hover over to the ‘Two-step authentication’ section and choose ‘Enable app authentication.’
To activate your authentication app, you need to:
- Use QR code by pointing your phone’s camera towards the barcode.
- Enter a provided key and the email address of your Google Account
- Enter the secrete key on your computer and tap ‘Add.’
Now you need to enter the six-digit code created by the authenticator app. Enter your password in the required form field and enable the Shopify authentication PIN. You will have a list of 10 recovery codes. To log in to your Shopify account now, you need to have your mobile phone or recovery code with you. That takes us to the third method of enabling two-way verification.
3. Two-Way Verification with a Security Key
First off, you need to migrate your Shopify accounts to use single sign-on. You cannot use the method to log into any of your Shopify apps. Using a security key that’s compatible with the WebAuthn standard enables you to log in to your Shopify account. First, you need to allow the two-way authentication with a security key. Your browsers must be compatible with that. The following browsers are compatible with security keys:
- Google Chrome for a desktop version 67 or above
- Google Chrome for Android version 73 or above
- Mozilla Firefox for desktop version 60 or above
- Mozilla Firefox for Android version 66 or above
- Microsoft Edge version 18 or above
- Opera version 54 or above
- Brave for iOS version 1.11.3 or above
- Safari version 83 or above
You also must know that security keys with biometric options do not work in private or incognito browsing. Shopify recommends below-given companies to get security keys from:
Connect a Compatible Device to Your Shopify Account
Connecting your device to your Shopify account is handy because you can manage your store on the go. To enroll a compatible device in the Shopify admin panel, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to your Shopify admin and click your username and account photo.
- Either go to your profile or ‘Security’ in ‘Your Account.’
- Enroll a new device in the ‘Two-step authentication’ section
- Enter a name for your mobile phone or any other device
- Enter your account password in the required field
- ‘Continue’ and activate your security key.
- Save the ten recovery codes given to you.
Set a Backup Phone Number
When the online world is becoming unsafe, you should set a backup phone number for your Shopify account. After you have enabled two-step authentication, you can receive the authentication code by SMS on that number. What you need to do is follow the procedure given below:
- Log in to your Shopify account and click on Shopify admin.
- Go to your profile or ‘Security’ in your account.
- Click ‘Enable backup phone’ by going to the ‘Two-step authentication’ section.
- Select country code and enter your contact number and confirm
- Enter the 6-digit number under the authentication code
- Enable and after the password confirmation
In case you want to retrieve your recovery codes, you need to go to the two-step authentication section in your profile or account. Click ‘View recovery codes,’ and you will have all the codes available for you.
How Does pin.shopify.com Authenticate?
After you have enabled the Shopify authentication PIN at pin.shopify.com, your login experience must change. Go to the login page of Shopify and enter.
- Your store address
- Email address
- And password when prompted.
Now click on ‘Login’ and authenticate on the next page after choosing for a particular method. Fo authenticator app, open it on your phone, and enter the given code. For SMS authentication, you should check your phone for a text message and enter the sent code. And if you are using a security key, enter it to log in to your Shopify account. In case you don’t like By going to your profile or account, go to the two-step authentication section, and disable app authentication.
Login Problems with Shopify Authentication PIN
If you have activated two-step authentication, Shopify must have generated ten recovery codes for you. To solve login problems, you must use them instead of a 6-digit code generated by your mobile app. And if your account is completely locked out, you need to wait for 1 hour if you don’t have your devices with you. If you think someone has taken over your Shopify account, you must immediately contact the Shopify support team. And if you are a staff member and you are unable to login, either contact the support or ask the store owner to disable your Shopify authentication pin.